Friday, June 10, 2016

Arrogant Titles and Summer Goals

The title of this blog is taken from Milton Babbitt’s controversial 1958 article, “Who Cares if You Listen?”. Babbitt contended that American culture had no knowledge of, or interest in, advanced music. Therefore the need for an audience, and/or public performance had become obsolete. While it may be true that the article’s title came from an editor and not Babbitt himself, it is the best thing he ever wrote. 
 
In choosing this title I certainly do not mean to assert that my musings are too advanced for general consumption. On the contrary, I do not write particularly well, and assume no one is interested in reading. I am starting this blog in an attempt to flex my mental muscle. My mind is nowhere near as sharp as it was in high school or early college. I have seen similar deterioration in others and wish to stave it off. 




My summer vacation began this week, and it is already off to a great start. Katrina and I had the fortune of seeing the wickedly talented Mandy Patinkin sing with the Boston Pops on Wednesday. While some of his arrangements were a bit odd, I did not leave disappointed after hearing him croon four Sondheim tunes. This weekend I am lucky enough to have two gigs with one of my mentors, Jay. I also found out a few days ago that I will be playing trumpet for Seacoast Repertory Theatre’s upcoming run of Reefer Madness. Throughout the summer I have a smattering of other gigs, and will also be employed by the Summer Youth Music School at the University of New Hampshire. For fun I have several vacations planned (Cape Cod, Lubec, Tanglewood, Las Vegas?), Chris’s stag party, and one last hurrah at Ben’s Tamworth getaway. Oh, and I am also turning 30 somewhere in there….

While it may seem like I will be keeping busy I know there will be plenty of days spent sticking to my couch and staring at the wall. In order to combat this I have made a list of summer goals. I made this list public last year and failed to complete as much as I had hoped. With any luck this blog will give me further incentive to finish what I pledge:

Hike Mount Washington
Bike the Cape Cod Canal
Visit the Boston Symphony Archives
Reach and maintain a weight of 150lbs (154 as of 9/10)
Start a blog for the summer and post weekly
Complete all SYMS planning by July 11
Create a private lesson teaching curriculum
Catalog my BSO broadcast holdings
Organize external hard drive
Create a website 
Join the musicians union
Create new teaching contracts
Catalog all printed music
Watch the following shows: The Leftovers, Sherlock, Big Love, Six Feet Under, Twin Peaks, Master of None, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Fargo, The Night Manager, Archer, Orphan Black, The Americans
Read the following books: Game of Thrones Novels, The Crossing, The Girl in the Spider’s Web, Evening at Symphony, Sennets & Tuckets: A Bernstein Celebration, The Run of His Life: The People vs. O.J. Simpson


Future entries will keep you apprised of my progress. Topics may also include movie reviews, television, Walt Disney World, trumpet stuff, and existential ponderings. I have had moderate success losing weight and keeping it off. People have asked me for insight on this many times. I have never fully been able to articulate everything in person that I would like to. Hopefully this medium will be an appropriate outlet to share my strategies.

Two final thoughts for this week:

“What am I Thankful for?” - My car battery died on Tuesday morning. This may seem an odd thing to be thankful for. The fact that this happened in a BJs parking lot when I had nowhere I needed to be is a minor miracle. It could have just as easily happened Wednesday at 11pm in the Prudential parking garage. I know folks who have had far greater misfortunes with automobiles, so I am counting my blessings.
 
Lastly, being June 10, 2016, my former best friend Matt turns 30 today. One of my greatest regrets is that we are no longer in touch. He was and remains to be a very special person to me. I hope that he is celebrating today with people that love and care for him. Mark, also pictured, turned 30 yesterday. Happy birthday wishes to both of them.




So sit back, relax, and join me for my summer 2016 journey. If not, who cares if you are reading anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment